In Taiwan, we only order this dish if we know they have quality chicken. This is definitely a dish that focuses on the flavor of the chicken itself, and is complimented with ginger and green onion. Simple, but amazing! I find it's more challenging to make a dish that's simple and light. You can almost taste every single ingredient on its own, but the combination exists in such harmony that it becomes another "whole". This is definitely one of those!
- Whole Chicken legs x 2
- Shao-shin Rice wine x 1 tbsp
- Star Anise (optional) x 1
- Ginger x 2 slices + 1 - 2 tsp grated
- Green onions x 4 pcs :
- - 1 chop in half, and slice open diagonally
- - The other 3 : Separate the green and the white parts
- *The white part - cut into 2-3 cm long and slice open diagonally
- *The green part - finely chopped
- Extra virgin olive oil x ¼ cup
- Szuchuan pepper corn x 1-2 tbsp
- Salt x 3 tbsp
- Ice water bath
- Ziplock bag x 1
1. Boil a pot of water, put in both Chicken Legs along with 2 slices of ginger, 1 green onion ( chop in half and slice open diagonally), Shao-shin Rice Wine, and Star Anise. Bring to simmer, cover with lid, simmer for 20-25 mins.
2. In a bowl, mix together green part of the green onions and grated ginger and 1 tbsp salt.
3. In a saucepan, put in oil and the white part of the green onions while the pan is still cold. Turn to medium heat, and gently saute the green onions until it starts to brown a little, then put in the Szechuan pepper corn. Once the Szechuan pepper corn is in the pan, keep close watch and stir often, for about 1 mintue (don't let the pepper corns burn).
4. Drain 3 into 2.
5. When the chicken is ready, take them out on a plate, let them cool for about 5 mins, so it's not too hot to handle.
6. Mix 2 tbsp of the chicken broth with 4, and your dressing is ready.
7. Sprinkle 1 tbsp of salt on each chicken leg, and use hand to make sure the whole leg is evenly coated; then put them in a ziplock bag, and put it in Ice water bath for about 15 mins, so it's cool enough to chop.
8. Take the chicken legs out, chop them into desire size, evenly pour the dressing with green onion and ginger on the chicken legs.
9. Enjoy! You will LOVE it!!