The recipe I'm sharing with you is the basic version, because I want to show you how amazing shio koji is! But don't get fooled by the word "basic"! It's SUPER tasty! But you can definitely play with the recipe and add other herbs or spices to the marinade. Shio Koji is just working as a substitute of your salt. Only this is salt with magic and umami taste!
Here's a link for you if you'd like to learn how to make your own Shio Koji at home: https://youtu.be/xZEoryNWsuI
- Whole Chicken Legs (Boneless) x 4
- Shio Koji x 6-8 tbsp
For the sauce (Optional)
- Green Onions x 3 (Finley chopped)
- Garlic x 1 clove (Minced or grated)
- Ginger x 1 tsp (Grated)
- Salt x ½ tsp
- Goose fat/Cooking oil x 3 tbsp
1. Rinse and tap dry your boneless chicken legs.
2. Marinade each chicken leg with 1.5-2 tbsp (depends on the size of your chicken legs) of shio koji in the fridge for overnight to up to 3 nights.
3. Rinse off all the shio koji on the chicken legs, and tap dry.
4. With medium low/low heat and lid on, pan sear the chicken legs with skin side up first for about 5 minutes.
5. After 5 minutes, flip the chicken legs, them continue to cook with medium low/low heat and lid on for another 5 minutes.
6. Once the chicken legs are fully cooked. Turn the heat up to high to evaporate all the juice the chicken created. about 2-3 minutes.
7. Once all the juice in the pan is evaporated, turn the heat down to medium high to cook until the skin side has the color you desire!
For the sauce on top:
1. In a medium size bowl, mix up the green onions, garlic, ginger and salt.
2. In a sauce pan, heat up the goose fat/oil to 325F. (if you don't have a thermometer, then when you see the smoke coming out of the oil, it's ready.)
3. Carefully pour the hot oil into the bowl. Mix well.
Things I used in the video :
Shio Koji - Homemade, highly recommend!!! Learn how to : youtu.be/xZEoryNWsuI
Zwilling Vaccum Sealer : https://amzn.to/3tvvLUd
Cut Wakame Dried Seaweed : https://amzn.to/32vJ7nB
Premium Goose Fat : https://bit.ly/31HHHpB
Outfit : https://smithandvena.com/?ref=chiachia 20%off with code : CHIACHIA
YouTube : https://bit.ly/3rT2xhm
FB : https://bit.ly/3qAD22B
IG @chiachiasqueendom : https://bit.ly/3bu4r1T