Cucumber salad is such a great, refreshing cold dish for the Summer! Not only is it super easy to make, but it's full of crunch and flavor! Growing up, my mom always smashed the cucumber instead of cutting it into bite size logs, and it always tasted way better than what we could find outside. I didn't know why then, but now I know that it's because 1) smashing the cucumber creates more nooks and crannies and surface area to absorb flavors, 2) my mom "dry blanched" the cucumber before seasoning it (see how and why in the video), and 3) the most important secret ingredient, LOVE!!! ( Of course, right? ;) )
- Japanese Cucumbers x 440g (about 3 pieces)
- Salt x 1.5 tsp
- Soy sauce x 2 tsp
- Rice vinegar x 3-4 tsp (depends on personal preference, we like it sour!)
- Garlic (minced) x 2 cloves
- Sugar ¼ -½ tsp (depends on personal preference)
- Chili Oil x ¼ -1 tsp (depends on personal preference)
- Smash the cucumbers with your knife, cut the tip and the end off, and then cut them into smaller bite size length.
- In the bowl of smashed cucumber, add in salt, give it a good stir and gentle massage, then let it sit for 15-30 minutes.
- Discard the excess liquid coming from the salted cucumber.
- Add in soy sauce, rice vinegar, garlic, sugar and chili oil. Mix well. Let it sit in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to up to 7 days. The longer it sits, the more flavorful it gets!
Check out The Best Chili Oil On The Planet HERE