I love sticky rice!!! Sweet or savory, I love them all! But of all the savory sticky rices, Taiwanese Sticky Rice is one of the most delicious ones that you will EVER taste! In Taiwan, the tradition is, whenever you have a newborn, you gift Taiwanese Sticky Rice to family and friends to announce his/her first month! Now, I've tried and experimented with dozens of recipes to make the best Taiwanese Sticky Rice, and this is it!!! We use the ingredients that delivers the flavor of the Earth and Sea - the result is that each chewy grain of rice is perfectly cooked and bursts with amazing complex flavors!
- Sticky Rice x 3 cups
- Pork x ½ lb
- Garlic infused goose fat x 1.5 tbsp ( can substitute with any cooking oil )
- Sesame oil x 3 tbsp
- Fried shallot x ¼ cup
- Ground white pepper x ¼ tsp
- Soy sauce x 5 ½ tbsp
- ShaoHsing rice wine x 5 tbsp
- Caramelize Syrup x 1 tbsp ( can substitute with cane sugar )
- Dried shrimp x 15 grams
- Dried shitake mushroom x 4
- Dried scallops x 2
- Rinse and clean the sticky rice, then soak in cold water for 8-12 hours or overnight.
- Re-hydrate dried shrimps, shitake mushroom and scallops. Cover the scallops with 2 tbsp of Shaohsing rice wine and 2 tbsp of water, steam for 15-20 mins. Cover the dried shrimps with 2 tbsp of Shaohsing rice wine, and cover the shitake mushroom with ⅓ cups of hot water and let them sit for 20 mins.
- Slice your pork into thin strips, then lightly marinate with 1 tbsp of Shaohsing rice wine and 1 tbsp of soy sauce.
- Combine all the remaining liquid from re-hydrating all the dried ingredients and set aside. Squeeze out excess liquid out of the shitake mushroom and keep that liquid with the other one we set aside. Cut off the stem, then thinly sliced the hydrated shitake mushroom. Chop up the hydrated shrimps to tiny bits. Break apart the hydrated scallops into tiny strips.
- Dampen a cheese cloth, lay it on the steam try, then put the soaked sticky rice on top. Poke a few holes on sticky rice for the steam to come through to cook the sticky rice well. Cover the sticky rice with excess cheese cloth. (*See video for demo) Boil the pot of water for steaming. After the water is boiled, put the tray on, steam with high heat for 15 minutes.
- While the sticky rice is cooking, start a wok/pan for the sauce. Add in goose fat, with low heat, saute the mushroom for 1-2 minutes until fragrant, then add in the scallops, saute for another minute. Then add in the shrimps bits and saute for another minute or so.
- Add in the pork, turn the heat to high, quickly stir for a few seconds, then add in the caramelized sugar. Continue to saute for another minute, then add in the sesame oil. After you add in the sesame oil, give it another quick stir, then add in 4 ½ tbsp of soy sauce.
- Combine the liquid from step 4 with more water to make it a whole cup of liquid, to add into the wok/pan.
- Add in fried shallots, ground white pepper, and bring the sauce to boil, then turn the heat off.
- When the sticky rice is done cooking, add the sticky rice into the sauce, mix the sauce and the sticky rice really well.
- Add the flavored sticky rice back to the steam tray, make sure the cheese cloth is still damp, and there's still enough water to steam for another 15 minutes. Poke a few holes on the sticky rice and cover the sticky rice with excess cheese cloth.
- Once the steam pot water is boiled, put the steam tray on, steam with high heat for 15 minutes and you're done!
What I used in the video:
Steamer : https://amzn.to/39NdIRM
Sticky Rice : https://amzn.to/3mpYFSV
Soy Sauce : https://bit.ly/3rXjF4F
Sesame Oil : https://bit.ly/2Q5kv1R
Le Pont Garlic Infused Goose Fat : https://bit.ly/31HHHpB
Outfit : https://smithandvena.com/?ref=chiachia < 20% off code : CHIACHIA >
FB : https://bit.ly/3qAD22B
IG @chiachiasqueendom : https://bit.ly/3bu4r1T
YouTube : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv8qTtdKBC3iK3QzN619Ccw